Ushuaia Hotel Reservations Argentina
Ushuaia Hotel Reservations Argentina
We can make reservations at any hotel in Ushuaia at the same rate the hotel offers and, in some cases, can pass on a discount or room upgrade. We can also make reservations at hotels in El Calafate, Puerto Natales, Torres del Paine and Punta Arenas and other destinations.
Just tell us the hotel you want or give us a budget for a hotel room.
We can arrange excursions in the national park from your hotel.
Ushuaia is often regarded to be the southern-most city in the World (population approx 65,000), however, Puerto Williams in Chile, and almost opposite, is actually further south. Located beside the famous Beagle channel (named after the ship Charles Darwin sailed on when he arrived to the area: HMS Beagle), Ushuaia is located on the southern coast of the island “Tierra del Fuego” (land of Fire), called so after the first maritime explorers to the area noticed numerous fires on the land that were ignited by the indigenous Yamana Indians. The Tierra del Fuego is actually a large island south continental South America.
Ushuaia Places of Interest
Apart from its importance as an Argentine military base, Ushuaia serves as the principal departure port for cruise ships heading to Antarctica. It is also possible to cross the Beagle channel in a rib-zodiac dinghy to get over to Puerto Williams in Chile, but only by previous reservation and subject to local weather conditions. Local attractions around Ushuaia include: The Tierra del Fuego National Park, containing the End of the World Train ride, which is rather tame and quite touristy; a variety of marine fauna in the area such as penguins, seals and orcas.
In 1833, when Charles Darwin came to this area of the World aboard the HMS Beagle he encountered a tribe known as the Yamana. These Indians were known for their paint-covered, bare-skinned bodies.
The first time the name Ushuaia appeared in writing was when, in 1869, the English missionary Waite Hockin Stirling documented his experiences of living with the Yamana people. More British missionaries arrived to Ushuaia in 1870 and established a very small settlement. The first, European-style house to be erected in Ushuaia was pre-built in the Falkland Islands and shipped over in 1870 for the use of the Reverend Thomas Bridges. The house was divided so one bedroom could be used by the Bridges family and the other for a married Yamana couple and a third room was dedicated for use as a chapel. In 1871 the first marriage took place and in 1872 Thomas Despard Bridges recorded the first birth as a European child.
It was not until 1873 when the first Argentine citizens arrived to teach at a newly-created school. Around this time the then Argentine president Julio Roca decided to make Ushuaia a penal colony for serious criminals, based upon the British model of sending criminals to far away places like Tasmania and Australia. However, behind this plan was a sub plot to enable Argentina to establish a presence and then lay claim the Tierra del Fuego. Only in 1881 did Argentina have its claim legitimised when a boundary agreement was formalised between Chile and Argentina. When the new prison was built this led to other housing being built for the use of prison staff and logistical-support personnel. In 1896 the prison officially opened and it received its first inmates.
On the 12th October 1884, as part of the South Atlantic Expedition, Commodore Augusto Lasserre established Ushuaia as an Argentine sub-division, with the missionaries and naval officers signing the “Act of Ceremony”. Don Feliz Paz was named as the Governor of Tierra del Fuego and in 1885 named Ushuaia as its capital. Also, in 1885 a territory police force was organised under Antonio Romero with its headquarters in Ushuaia. However, the city was not officially recognised as the capital of Tierra del Fuego until 1904 when the Argentine Federal government formally gave it that honour.
Ushuaia suffered several health epidemics, including typhus, whooping cough and measles, that decimated much of the native population, but because the indigenous Yamana people were not included in the census data the exact numbers of Yamana who died is not known. The first census was carried out in 1893 and recorded 113 men and 36 women living in Ushuaia (but not considering any Yamana). By 1911 practically all the Yamana people had died and the original mission was closed. In the 1914 census the population had grown to 1,558 inhabitants.
In 1903 the military prison opened at the nearby Puerto Golondrina, which later merged with the original, public prison in 1910 operating through to 1947 when President Juan Peron closed the facility by executive order due to reports of prisoner abuse. The building continued as a storage and office facility for the Argentine Navy until the early 1990’s and today it is the Ushuaia Maritime Museum.